Monday, June 14, 2010

Analogy

Tuesday June 15th
So I just drove home from a relatively good day at work.  I thought of this analogy connecting the weather to my eyes and health in general.
Before I start, I am on the edge of a pain attack.  I even called Dr. Halstrom's office today and will go talk to him a week from Friday.  I've done a lot of reading on the Trigeminal Nerve but I actually want to talk to a real doctor about it, I don't want to do this by myself.   However, I'm not quite ready to go to Mayo for it as I'm afraid it will be a bigger deal than it has to be. I want Halstrom to tell me when he thinks I should go.
The problem is with each attack the pain grows a little each time.  Like at first it was the surgical eye. then the left eye for 3 months.  Then back to the surgical eye. Now it's pretty much the surgical eye, the top muscle, than it's below the eye, then next time the pain hits, it runs from my 2nd branch of the nerve, across the cheek bone  to the top of the ear, the temporal muscle.  That lasted several pain episodes in a row. Then it went to to the jaw the next time, keep in mind this is IN ADDITION to all the other spots all at once.  Now today I got concerned when I felt it strong behind my ear.  One time a few weeks ago just for a short time like a half hour it went to one of my teeth. Than stabbed me for 30 sec. in my eye muscle.  So how far is this going to go?  I don't know, no one really would know.  But I'm not as worried just want to be preemptive.  If I wait til I'm in severe pain I'm not going to be thinking as clearly as the pain clouds my thinking.  So I called Dr. Halstrom as he has been the local Dr. that has helped me with my other severe pain issues.
So back to the analogy.  It poured rain on and off today.  As I walked out of work the sun just came out and lights up all the rain drops and it looks so beautiful.  Keep in mind I am listening to  this old album as I drive home, by one of my favorite musicians, and I've never heard this album and it's fantastic, acoustic blah blah blah. But it's all adding to this beautiful drive home.  There are these massive cumulus clouds which you know are powerful and can be dangerous but now are just beautiful.
Well, I compare it to my health, my eyes right now.  For the most part my eyes are amazing and the view is so great!  Like a perfect day, or the way the sky looks right after the storm clouds clear.  Some days are extra great like when I pulled in the driveway to look behind me to see there was the giant rainbow.  (very cool!)
Then some days are rainy with lots of lightning and thunder.  Or worse yet severe cold!  But you know the sunny days arnt' going to happen every day and the rainy days are going to come too but then they too don't last forever.  You have no control over the weather.  Just like I have no control over what my body decides to do or not to do.  I just have to accept it and find the rainbow in it all.
So maybe the pain will hit again, I'm going to work with it and just wait til the sun comes out again.
How's that for an analogy?  I'm going to have a gin martini tonight and see if any more analogy's come to me :)

No comments: