Sunday, November 7, 2010

Group therapy ;)

So I am typing this at the hospital in Hastings. My grandfather, who has severe parkinsons fell yesterday out in his yard and broke his hip and I am sitting here in the dark with my little phone watching him try to sleep. Long story short, I got to talk with my aunts and uncles and compare notes. My uncle Jerry has had multiple eye muscle surgeries and gone through his own nightmare with nerve pain, following a serious accident 15 years ago. So I learned things from him. Then my aunt Nancy and I talked a little about knees dislocating. Of course my other aunt Gail was here and my grandma, and I can see my future in them. They have survived somehow, by the grace of God. It gives me hope. I'll be okay too. What's nice is they all can still laugh about it. Truthfully, it feels good to see people who look like me and know what it's like to be atypical. I don't feel like a freak when I am with them. I have more understanding.

No comments: