Saturday, November 13, 2010

Oculocardiac reflex

I should not be blogging right now! I have 8 million things that need to be done TONIGHT.  But knowing me...
I checked the dumb blogs audience and search words that people use when they come across the blog.  Someone searched "bad pain after strabismus surgery"  it got me thinking...
I never searched the WWW to see if anyone else had trigeminal pain after this surgery. So I typed in "strabismus trigeminal nerve"  I again got pointed to this book co written by David Coates from TX. ( I recognize his name as I remember papers written by him and my dr. jointly- so I figure they're buddies - so his book caught my attention a few times this past year ) anyway, chpt. 6 is on Oculocardiac reflex.
I think I may be on to something here.  It would explain why my heart during surgery was bradycardia then shot up to tachycardia.  It also affects the trigeminal nerve which led to the vagus nerve which leads to the whole parasympathetic part of your whole heart beating thing.  I think the nerve got hurt during this. No fault of anyone. The article said things can be done perfectly but it (the reflex - not trigeminal nerve damage) still can happen.  It kinda makes sense.  I learned alot.  I'm kind of excited.  So far it's the most logical thing I heard or in my case, read, yet.  Cool huh?  Now I dont' have to worry about future surgeries and my heart going all brady again as it was an eye pressure thing.
http://books.google.com/books?id=4oqo-LMSV_kC&pg=PA81&lpg=PA81&dq=strabismus+trigeminal+nerve+pain&source=bl&ots=5AGbyceDpg&sig=ow8oGP8KJiRmcw0qBjb5Z1NL7dQ&hl=en&ei=tDffTNHHOIGnnwfcoLXdDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CEUQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=strabismus%20trigeminal%20nerve%20pain&f=false

8/25/11 - editing this post much later :  wanted to post that after this I later developed a rare heart arythmmia called idiopathic fascicular ventricular tachycardia.  I think I had been showing signs of it all along.  So the reflex scene in my strabismus surgery was no surprise looking back.  I now to this day have bouts of tachy vs. brady every day.  It's just the way I am.  Idiopathic, comorbity Me.

No comments: