Sunday, February 14, 2010

The curse of the housewife

I'll paint the setting for you.  I'm sitting in my living room in this big sunny window on my two chase lounges folding laundry listening to pandora - missy higgins right now. And I find myself thinking about the 'curse of the house wife' This is what I term matching and folding socks. The Most thankless job a woman can do.I can't help but think.  This is what my life has comedown to. The most thankless job a human can have is matching and folding socks.  However, I realize that while I do these mindless, thankless chores such as socks, empting the dishwasher, change the sheets, vacuuming, is when I can think and clear my head.  So maybe it's not so bad.  Maybe even therapeutic.  Just kidding. It's still a curse.
So I'm thinking about my coversation with a client I had yesterday. She asked me, "how do I take care of myself so that I can keep taking care of others?"  Good question. Although I don't see myself as taking care of others really.  My answer as lame as it may seem was only two things I could think of telling her.  1) my job, when I'm at work I have less stress.  I have to be calm and positive or else I can't get the person to become calm and relax.  2) This little blog. I enjoy putting my thoughts down in writing.  WHY?  I had no clue.  And why on the internet?  Why not in a journal that only I will read? - After discussing it with her I concluded, it was after my pschycologist had me write a letter to a Dr. I felt did me really wrong I realized the value in putting your thoughts down and be willing to give them to someone else.  I write it down it helps organize my thoughts and then I can let them go.  It's kind of freeing.

No comments: