Wednesday, October 20, 2010

One year

"a few of my favorite things"
Today is my one year anniversary of my last eye surgery. It also marks one year since our little Elijah was born.  I know this post says I wrote it at 8 a.m. and I did. But I am editing it at 9:25 p.m. after spending a bit of the evening at Elijah's house with him and his parents and some other friends.  The photo you'll see Elijah on my lap and my favorite 3 year old by my side with his loyal dog.
I was a little emotional today and actually kept my thoughts to myself about my eye surgery anniversary.  I was around a variety of people but just told them it was my one year anniversary. I didn't tell them how I feel about it.
Last night I had trouble sleeping at first because I was thinking so much of all the ways this surgery has benefited me.  It wasn't til I spoke to my Nancy, who is now in hospice that I actually cried  little out of shear joy. And she is the only one I really explained how wonderful this whole year has been.  I feel blessed to have had this unexpected joy and success.
 I know a lot of people with Strabismus are afraid of surgery. I understand. I was terrified. But I'm glad I overcame my fear and had one more surgery. I just want to say don't give up.  Don't loose hope that maybe some one can fix your eyes, even if someone tells you theres no hope.  There's always hope as long as your alive.  I lost my hope for 10 years without even realizing it.  I can't believe I lived like that for so long. It's just been a great year.  Well, at least the most interesting year of my life. That's for sure. Today is a good day.  All around.

No comments: